Chat and textarea formatting

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 16 22:40:38 EST 2023

Rick Harrison wrote:

 > Richard wrote:
 >> I find that a lot of this boils down to the Clipboard more
 >> than a browser being able to know what it's rendering.
..
 > When I copy colored text or bold faced text
 > from TextEdit and pasted it into the box it
 > doesn’t carry over.
 >
 > Of course if I copy the one sample line you
 > provided that copies fine and renders fine.
 >
 > I also tried creating some text with bold
 > and colored text using LibreOffice Write.
 > It copied and pasted just fine.  The
 > rendering was correct but it put in a
 > little more space between the lines
 > for some reason.  Perhaps I was
 > using a strange font or something.

Leadding is among the things that will almost always have at least some
variance between apps and platforms. No two engineering teams write text
rendering engines exactly the same.

 > The apostrophe problem went away too.
 >
 > I will have to do some more research with this.
 > I’m not sure I can tell my users to all use
 > LibreOffice Write when composing messages.

Naw, just let them know that some apps are better than others at
translating styling info into a form that pastes well into browsers and
other apps.

But with the recipe provided, at least you have a way to faithfully
preserve and restore those things that do get put onto the Clipboard well.

 > Thanks for getting back to me!

My pleasure. I've been having a lot of fun with web dev lately.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems