Linux filenames in LC Server

Neville Smythe neville.smythe at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 13 21:45:59 EDT 2023

OK, so the macOS *is* using utf-8 for its file names - the [e-acute] in the filename Carré.txt is rendered with two bytes [C3A9] not the single byte MacRoman encoding. I got tricked by copying the terminal listing into another program rather than hex dumping within the terminal, and somewhere in the process the native encoding was preferred.

So one must *not* textEncode a filename to utf-8 before writing a file to disk, LC deals with the encoding, although you *should” textEncode its contents.

Which leaves the problem of why I can’t get LC Server on Linux to write non-ascii filenames

Neville Smythe