Android black screen again...

Klaus major-k klaus at major-k.de
Sat Aug 12 03:31:21 EDT 2023

Hi Jacque,

you wrote:

> I'm just guessing, but memory may be too low to allow the browser widget to work,

however I am not using the browser widget (does not display PDFs on Andoid!)
but the PDF widget!

> Am 11.08.2023 um 22:30 schrieb J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>:
>
> On 8/11/23 3:12 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
>> The problem is that this is not reproducable, it happens out of a sudden if it happens.
>> Even the hardware BACKKEY does not work in that situation, only the HOMEKEY so I can
>> at least quit the app.
>
> That's called an ANR ("Application Not Responding"). Something in the app is causing a hang. If you wait long enough, Android should put up a dialog asking if you want to wait or close the app. If you choose to wait, sometimes it comes back. However, the wait can be 10-20 seconds or more so people often just quit before the dialog appears.

OK, if I have the time I will wait next time and see what happens.

> The problem here is figuring out what causes it. Is it always the same PDF file? Or maybe it happens after opening a certain number of files, or the length of a file, or the cumulative length of several files, or...? If it isn't reproducible, it's very difficult to find the cause.

It happen when I start the app, at that point there is no PDF loaded, just the "start card"
with a couple of poly grids.

It also happened in the same "session", means no switching the device off and on again.
I started the device then opened my app, no problems.
Then I quit my app and started again, BOOM, black screen.

> If it happens to you at home some day, see if waiting 15 seconds or more puts up that dialog. That would confirm it's an ANR.

Yes, will do, thanks for the hint!

> --

Best

Klaus