Android,iOS stay in background?

Mark Smith marksmithhfx at gmail.com
Tue May 31 16:48:44 EDT 2022

Hi Tom,

You can “suspend” iOS apps by putting them into the background, where they are maintained in a sort of “hibernated” state, ready to go when you open them again, and you can detect this. But it is also possible to “unload” them from memory by swiping up on apps that you can see lurking in the background. This closes the app completely and a restart is initiated when you re-open it. I have had apps “freeze" during development and the only way to restore them was to remove it from memory (close it) and then reopen it again. I also have code that detects when an app is put into the background (and only executes under those conditions) so I do know that this can be detected for iOS apps, but I don’t think there is a way to do it in Android apps yet. The “detecting" is part of Monte's mergNotify package that was incorporated into LC. You can find more info on it in the dictionary.

mergNotify "UIApplicationWillResignActiveNotification" -- enables the app to detect when it is moving into the background

mergNotify "UIApplicationDidBecomeActiveNotification" -- and when it is being brought back to the foreground

See also mergBkTask for more information on background processing in iOS.