LC subscription and special characters

jbv at souslelogo.com jbv at souslelogo.com
Tue May 10 14:33:34 EDT 2022

Hi list,
I have been asked by a client to make some upgrades to a standalone app
that I built with LC 6.5 about 12 years ago.
The app is a front end for managing a remote DB on a server. The DB
content is roughly 90% in french, and the rest in english and german. It
has about 160000 entries and counting.

I am about to buy a LC standard plan for both Mac and Win, since the app
is been used on both platforms, and will also be in the future.
But before I proceed, I'd like to make sure that it will help solving a
minor problem that users have met lately.

Last year a re-compiled the app, without changing anything, with a LC
8.2 Community version.
It keeps running fine on both Win & Mac, except that on Windows, some
special characters in french (like Ê or Æ or Œ) have become impossible
to type with regular keys combinations (or any other mean), when it was
possible before with the LC 6.5 version.
Furthermore, a few new users will be added to the crew, who will work
with qwerty keyboards, when the rest of the staff will continue to work
with azerty keyboards.

So finally my question : it seems that the standard plan is the best
option because it will give me access to the latest LC versions, but
what about these special characters issue ? Is it only related to LC
8.2, or will it also occur with the latest versions ?

Thanks in advance.
jbv