Anybody tried to import data to Quicken for Mac?

William Prothero waprothero at gmail.com
Fri May 6 18:45:36 EDT 2022

Mike:
Wellll, I notice that many folks are asking questions about merging and sorting lots of data using DataGrid, and databases, and I have a possible need for getting csv data into Quicken, on a Mac. I’m trying to see if a livecode solution fits my problem.  It’s kinda like folks talking about using Livecode to format data for export to Excell. I had wondered if anybody on this list had faced this problem, and trying to format for Quicken, which is a very popular financial app. I’m not hopeful, but thought I’d check.

I’m also considering just doing this completely in Livecode. There seem to be many pathways to financial management. Bank statement downloads don’t list the name of the person who made the transaction (at least some don’t), online payment systems (Converge, for example) allow csv downloads and it’s possible to get a csv formatted file of transactions that include payee name, address, phone, etc that I would like to keep. Merging these csv downloads with bank statements that list “Batches”, which often contain numerous credit card purchases, could be an onerous hand editing job..the kind I hate. I’m trying to streamline this task.

Then there are the other online payment sites ……. WooCommerce, etc, which would presumably not involve Livecode programming. I’m not ready to go that way yet, hoping for something I know a bit more about.

An approach connecting some of these various formats of financial data to Quicken (using Livecode) would require a livecode output to a quicken interchange format (QIF).

In short (or was it “long”), if nobody has tried this, no worries, please ignore this post. I’m just doing “Do Diligence”.

Best,
Bill Prothero