Sharing a desktop app, or with beta testers

Paul McClernan paulmcclernan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 10:46:29 EDT 2022

Late to this thread, but I’d like to add some FYI:
You can get a free Apple Dev account, which allows you to code-sign (but not notarize, only Apple can do that) Mac apps and up to 5 or so iOS apps (which you would have to "side load” somehow unless you jailbreak your iDevice). However, without the notarization this approach doesn’t seem much different than self-signing, which I’m pretty sure you can generate a certificate for that with the KeyChain app, even without even an Apple Account, and then you could get friends, family and whomever to trust your certificate on their Macs. I believe (unless your certificate is trusted on the host computer) the only advantage to signing over completely unsigned code is that there are less warning dialogs popping up before the app will launch.

Paul McClernan

GitHub: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan