use-livecode Digest, Vol 222, Issue 8

Mark Smith marksmithhfx at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 11:44:52 EST 2022

So, playing around a bit more I discovered “a.*” does not return words that “start with”, but rather words that “contain” the letter. So that explains “apple, banana”. What isn’t clear to me is I get the exact same result using “a.” with no asterisk, but if I search for “y.” it returns nothing rather than cherry. Consequentially I realize my confusion is due to a limitation of what these characters mean to regex. Can anyone clarify for me what the “.” and “*” are doing to change the filter?

Thanks