long id trap for the unwary

Neville Smythe neville.smythe at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 28 21:38:54 EDT 2022

No crashes or errors, I just didn’t get back the data I expected.

Does it really have anything to do with message paths?

I just expected

    the long id of field1 of card 1

to do what it says, that is, to return a specifier to (the instance of) field 1 on card 1. At the time I was iterating through all substacks and controls in a stack and wanted a specifier which would work for substacks as well as objects so the long id was the natural choice.

I understand why the long id of a group has to contain a reference to the  current card or the first card containing the group, but in this case I am actually specifying the card reference I want, so it *could* return what I expected, it just doesn’t. Tough cheese. (Oops, I mentioned c…..)

Neville