scripted Show tooltip not a thing?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 14 17:33:58 EST 2022

Tooltips can be a solution, but the mechanism has some limitations in
this context.

First, tooltips are a sort of hidden feature, where the user discovers
them only after moving the mouse over the object.  Prior to that moment
they're invisible, offering no guidance at all.

And in this case, the good explanatory text you're offering can't be
seen until after the user commits to a choice, but that explanation
would seem helpful to guide them to making that choice.

If space permits, you could consider adding the explanatory text in
parentheses after the symbol directly in the control:

   | = (Equals)            |
   | ≤ (Is at least)       |
   | ≅ (Is approximately)  |

This would allow users to fully grasp the implications of a choice
before making it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems