[ANN] Release 10.0.0 DP-2

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 21 15:23:30 EST 2022

Pi Digital wrote:

 > It’s so frustrating because I just spent the last week making my own
 > widget to make bar and pi charts. LOL! Now it feels like a futile
 > gesture with something far superior ‘just around the corner’. Your
 > teams have done a really good job of making them.
 >
 > I’ll get back to making more futile tools that will likely get
 > superseded by more of your work ;)

This problem is as old as platforms themselves. Indeed much of Apple's
early dev-facing communications (circa Mac v1.0-4.0) centered around
clarifying their interests and their intentions for keeping the
third-party opportunity as wide open as practical.

Later on a form of Konfabulator was included as Widgets, a form of
Delicious Library was included as iBooks, and the boundaries have been
blurred forever since.

This is understandable, whether we're looking at a vendor whose platform
is an OS or a dev tool, as it's incumbent on them to provide a strong
sense of feature-completeness wherever practical.

When evaluating third-party opportunities, consider not only the LC
world but also JavaScript.  Integration between any GUI toolkit and web
views is likely only going to increase going forward.

As LC Ltd notes in their blog post, the new charts widget wraps
chart.js, an open source package under MIT license.

Many key ingredients in LC make use of open source code, and given the
vast-and-growing range of open source packages for JavaScript we can
expect more using that language over time.

So next time you're thinking of an add-on for LC, also take a moment to
see if such a thing is already available in JavaScript. If it is you
just saved yourself the time otherwise needed to write it from scratch.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems