Install LC on Chromebook

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Feb 17 15:21:21 EST 2022

On 2/17/22 12:35 PM, Stamatis Kapetanakis via use-livecode wrote:
> I haven’t installed LC on chrombook. But I did install XOJO.
>
> Only it turns out you can’t run XOJO in ChromeOS’ Linux because of missing dependencies and you don’t have access to install. The solution up to dual-boot in GalliumOS which is specifically tailored to chromebooks. Easy to find tutorials  online on how-to.
> It was then easy to install the Debian package. I presume all of this holds true more or less for LC.
>
> Ultimately I gave up on it because chrome hardware is underpowered - it runs ChromeOS beautifully but the cheap Asus chromebook I have just struggled with “proper” software. Plus storage is usually very limited on such devices and i ended up calling it a day on an interesting experiment.
>
> This was 2-3 years ago and perhaps things may have changed. YMMV…
> Stam

That fits what I saw too. The tutorial I was following suggested installing the Linux version
of Slack. It did have a .deb file but when I tried to install it said there was a dependency
(libappindicator3-1) and it wasn't installable. I even tried to apt-get it with the same
result. I'm not sure why the tutorial, from XDA who should know, said it would install. It was
a fairly recent post: <https://www.xda-developers.com/linux-apps-chrome-os/>

I saw something about "FlatPack". I'll have to look it up again. I think it's supposed to get
around some of these issues.

I didn't plan to actually do much programming with the Chromebook but there are lots of times
when I'm using it and I want to look up something or test something quick.

ChromeOS has come a long way in the last few years. My new Chromebook has lots more RAM and a
bit more storage, expandable to 256GB. It's running an Intel i3 CPU and is a lot snappier than
my older Lenovo. I'd like to get LC running, even if it's a bit slow and dodgy.

And a note to the team: Education is using Chromebooks heavily, and the numbers of Chromebooks
in education have exceeded all other laptops recently. If LC really wants to hit up education
markets, some attention to Chrome OS would be a good start. I was building Android apps that
ran on Chrome OS but they broke when LC updated the graphics library recently.

I haven't reported it because technically LC doesn't support Chrome OS. But I wish it did, and
it would be an advantage to the company as well.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com