[OT} Sunsetting Atom Editor 12/15/2022

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Dec 9 06:12:43 EST 2022

On 2022-12-08 18:30, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
> mark - what have you fond compelling about vscode? i have never really
> liked it

Three immediate things:
   1) it has a terminal pane
   2) its find in all files is a right hand tree view and is updated live
   3) there is a C/C++ extension which uses Microsoft's Intellisense tech

Most of my work involves a combination of LiveCode Script and C/C++, and
unit tests - the latter being entirely terminal based. Therefore having
it all in one window is a huge efficiency improvement (although it has
taken me about a month to *stop* clicking in the dock on terminal, or
alt-tabbing to it when I want to run things!).

The intellisense stuff and live right hand find in files is much better
for navigating large code bases too :)

Admittedly I'm probably a very special-case on this list (in terms of
doing both C/C++ and LCS dev side by side, mostly to be run from
terminal).

However, I think VSCode definitely has the edge if you are doing
LiveCode scripting in script-only-stacks to use server-side/in lc-server
from the terminal due to the integrated command-line... There's also a
host of other integrations with online services for development through
terminal stuff - e.g. stripe comes to mind.

If you are doing LiveCode scripting in concert with the IDE / GUI type
stuff - then VSCode vs something else pretty much comes down to personal
taste :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps