Livecode performance problem

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Fri Aug 19 18:32:37 EDT 2022

On 8/19/22 15:07, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> Off the top of my head:
>
> split v1 by tab
> split v2 by tab
> split v3 by tab
> split v4 by tab
>
> put the keys of v1 into tKeyList
> sort tKeyList ascending numeric
>
> repeat for each line tKey in tKeyList
>     put tKey & tab & v1 [tKey] & tab & v2 [tKey] & tab & v3 [tKey] & tab & v4 [tKey] & cr after tCombined
> end repeat
>
> Not sure if this will be faster, but every time you refer to a line of a string the engine has to parse out where that line is from the beginning.

It is indeed faster. Here's what I came up with. I'm not sure why 2000
lines of text in four fields should take that long, I came up with

original code: 320 ms
array version: 21 ms

    put empty into vCombined
    put fld "A" into v1
    put fld "B" into v2
    put fld "C" into v3
    put fld "D" into v4
    split v1 by cr
    split v2 by cr
    split v3 by cr
    split v4 by cr
    put 1 into i
    repeat for each element tLine in v1
       put i&tab&v1[i]&tab&v2[i]&tab&v3[i]&tab&v4[i]&tab&cr after vCombined
       add 1 to i
    end repeat

--
  Mark Wieder