Datagrid internal error

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Wed Aug 10 17:14:44 EDT 2022

I do appreciate the responses. My question was not about the number of
records, but about the number of COLUMNS and whether there is any
practical or known limit.

When my code is setting the column names, that list comes from customer
entered data. I know that each name is less than 255 characters and
restricts entry of certain characters (previously listed) such as comma,
[ ], etc. How many names is unknown.

In this specific case of the error I reported, the customer is not in a
position to be able to help much (if at all). Since it is customer data
dependent, we are not able to reproduce the error in the IDE. SO my very
specific questions was: Has any one seen an error like the one I
reported (copied again below) OR know of any issues/limits when setting
the dgProp["columns"] property of a Datagrid?

A customer encountered the following execution error (below) in our app
(built on Livecode 9.6.7, MacOS 12.5). This error is occurring in the
scripts for the Datagrid itself, rather than our code. At the end, it is
one of our handler, "populateMe", where line 139 is where the error starts.

Line 139 set the dgProp["columns"] of grp "rwMatrixObj_DataGrid" to
tColumnNames

tColumnNames is a variable containing a list of text lines that are
customer entered column names, so they could be ANYTHING (up to 255
chars, no control characters, including DEL (127)) that a user could
type or paste into a field, including words in any language using Unicode.

As the executionContexts data does not contain the actual values of the
variable tColumnNames when the error occurs, does ANYONE have any idea
what tColumnNames might contain that could produce the error(s) show below?

Technical information:
Property: value is not a number: (Line 11, column 1)
Object: can't set object property: (Line 11, column 5)
set: can't set property: (Line 11, column 1)
Handler: error in statement: LayoutControl (Line 11, column 1)
Object ID: stack "RevDataGridLibraryBehaviorsDefaultHeaderButtonBehavior"
-
repeat: error in statement: (Line 5066, column 1)
Handler: error in statement: _table.ResizeHeaders (Line 5052, column 1)
Object ID: stack "RevDataGridLibraryBehaviorsDataGridButtonBehavior"
-
Handler: error in statement: _table.ResizeColumns (Line 4967, column 1)
Object ID: stack "RevDataGridLibraryBehaviorsDataGridButtonBehavior"
-
Handler: error in statement: _table.CreateColumns (Line 4737, column 1)
Object ID: stack "RevDataGridLibraryBehaviorsDataGridButtonBehavior"
-
Handler: error in statement: _table.RegenerateColumns (Line 4538, column 1)
Object ID: stack "RevDataGridLibraryBehaviorsDataGridButtonBehavior"
-
switch: error in statement: (Line 6150, column 1)
Handler: error in statement: dgProps (Line 5553, column 1)
Object ID: stack "RevDataGridLibraryBehaviorsDataGridButtonBehavior"
-
set: can't set property: (Line 5529, column 1)
Handler: error in statement: dgProp (Line 5529, column 1)
Object ID: stack "RevDataGridLibraryBehaviorsDataGridButtonBehavior"
-
set: can't set property: (Line 139, column 1)
if-then: error in statement: (Line 139, column 1)
Handler: error in statement: populateMe (Line 138, column 1)
Object: group "Table" of card "FrequencyReport" of stack "FreqReport.rwtl"
Object ID: group id 1162 of card id 1002 of stack
"/Applications/HyperRESEARCH 4.5.4/Components/Tools/FreqReport.rwtl"