widget properties

Neville Smythe neville.smythe at optusnet.com.au
Wed Apr 6 22:04:07 EDT 2022

Just a point of clarification; Ali’s post does not explain how to access the object properties of a widget. The properties returned by

put the keys of (revIDEExtensionProperties("com.livecode.widget.foo"))

are the intrinsic properties of the widget, which these days  are accessible via the

export widget “foo” to array tBar

command. They are not the ordinary object properties such as its rect, visibility etc.

My current workaround is to just make up a list of likely properties names, for example those of a group, deleting the few properties obviously specific to a group. Unfortunately LC doesn’t respond with a “object does not have this property” error message if you query any old reserved property key for a widget. An alternative would be to go through the properties shown in the Property Inspector deleting the intrinsic properties specific to the widget; but some intrinsic properties are also common object properties, eg showBorder, depending on the widget you choose, and further I am not entirely sure that the Property Inspector actually exposes all the properties of an object (?). It also lists interdependent properties (loc <- rect) which should not be returned by the properties function.

Neville