Widget properties

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 6 21:36:12 EDT 2022

Mark Wieder wrote:

 > On 4/6/22 16:39, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >
 >>  > ...there has never been any intention of supporting the properties
 >>  > for widgets as far as I’m aware...
 >>
 >> If the company wants widgets to be seen as first-class citizens, a
 >> little more conformity with existing object syntax would go a long
 >> way to making that happen.
 >

 > Adding to that is the incoming LCS widget architecture, so I'm not
 > putting deep learning time into something I'll just have to unlearn
 > when the next wave hits.

Succinctly put.

Back when Ben was fleshing out the "before" and "after" messaging
options, and the object-local mirror of the selectGroupedControls
property for groups, and other such things that have made the DataGrid
such a joy to work with, I had high hopes that this effort to
encapsulate compound objects durably would continue.

I'm very excited by the choice to return to that effort.  LCB is a fine
language, and I'm as envious of its indexed arrays as I am mystified why
they haven't found their way into LCS.  But it's so easy to make
compound objects in LCS I haven't been able to justify the time to learn
a similar-but-incompatible language.

So soon we will have three classes of objects: engine-native, widgets,
and whatever the LCS-based widgets are called.

It would be great to have a single robust, uniform serialization for
their attributes.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems