Text encoding.

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Sep 3 09:47:11 EDT 2021

I always have to double check this as well. I think the point is that LC knows
what its internal format is, but doesn't know what the source format is. So
you always have to specify the 'external' format, but never the internal one.

With that in mind, it feels (at least in my language instincts) that if you're
changing it out of the specified format, that's decoding; and vice versa. You
have have to decode the text from UTF8 (or whatever) into the internal format;
and encode it from the internal format into UTF8 (or whatever).

Ben