Mud slinging versus genuine criticism

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 12:45:48 EDT 2021

I am revisiting Sean Cole's posting as some valuable feedback seems
to have got mixed up with some ridiculous claims:

1. "my opinion counts for nothing here"  Well, Yes, there is a slight
feeling re that as there has been vrry little direct
feedback from LiveCode central.

2. "purchasing a 2-year licence for HTML5 with the promise that it would
get fixed"

Yup: not very good at keeping promises.

3. "You guys put me in hospital more than once." Possibly one of the
most preposterous accusations I have
ever seen in my life. The reason someone ended up in hospital was
because they were ill: and it would be a tough,
tough call to demonstrate a causal effect from a piece of software to
one's physical/mental state.

Actually a very cheap shot indeed which, of course, makes me want to go
"Poo Poo" to the other points he made.

4. "Asking people to fill out a survey will only cause more of your users to
become disappointed when 'their' extremely valid top 10 bugs get lost in
the flood of other people's, probably only based on how many remember the
same matching ones. When 'theirs' don't get fixed, it will only feed their
despondency."

I tend to agree with that one.

5. messed up script editor: what is wrong with it? It certainly would be
nice to know as I have used LiveCode's script
editors for about 21 years with no obviosu problems at all.

6. messed up dictionary: not obviously: just the odd one or 2 things
that might be explained better.

7. messed up property inspector: not that I am aware of.

Certainly in any type of attempt at constructive criticism those last 3
points need to be elaborated on extensively.

8. "use your product for real-world stuff yourself and try to do it
without having to use workarounds!"

Well: there's a blanket statement to out blanket statements.

Is my Devawriter Pro (for wonky academics and bonkers yoga heads to type
stuff in dead Indian languages)
real-world stuff? Are the ESL-for-kiddies content reinforcement and
delivery standalones real-world stuff?
They both are insofar as they are used constantly: especially the
latter, by children who, oddly enough,
seem to be getting better at the aspects of English those standalones
help them reinforce.

I suspect Sean Cole may turn his nose up at us "bottom-feeders" who use
LiveCode for what are, really, bloody
basic, humdrum requirements: but they do make one hell of a difference
to the learning experiences of a lot
of children.

I am sorry to unearth this, but I do feel that this 'situation' that has
arisen has to be examined fully for some good
to come out of it.

Richmond.