macOS and the default font in fields

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue May 25 15:36:41 EDT 2021

On 5/25/2021 3:06 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> On 5/24/21 4:19 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
>> My objective is to store the defaults for a given OS and version on
>> startup of my application, so that if the user uses existing controls
>> to change fonts in various places, I cna provide a means to "Reset"
>> them to the defaults
>
> The fonts in parentheses are special placeholders for the current
> system's various text fonts or styles, created so we don't have to
> figure out what that is. You should be able to reset the fields by
> assigning one of those, probably either ("Text") or ("Default"), as
> the font and let LC figure out what to use. That should work on all
> operating systems, including mobile.
>
> I can't explain the discrepancy when getting the effective textFont
> but I've been using "(Text)" most of the time with good results.

Yup, that's the solution I went with -- set the textFont of tObject to
"(Text)" -- where tObject is always a field reference and it works well.

As an old school programmer, it just bugs me that some piece of software
(the macOS, LiveCode, whatever) is trying to hide the actual font from
me for whatever reasons.

As always, thanks for replying with the tip.