We don't need a Player (was Re: New(?) Idea for Standalones)

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Mar 29 13:57:44 EDT 2021

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <

> Trevor DeVore wrote:
>
>  > On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:57 AM Richard Gaskin wrote:
>  >
>  >> TL/DR:
>  >>
>  >> We don't need a generic player.
>  >>
>  >> What we need is an updated Standalone Builder, to provide
>  >> more complete tooling and better guidance for building a
>  >> modern standalone.
>  >
>  >
>  > An easy way to extend the standalone building process with plugins is
>  > a necessity IMO as well.
>
> Add-ons to the product experience can be a useful temporary workaround
> for long-time users, but if we step back and look at the gestalt of the
> user experience they're not a true solution.

Do you think that LiveCode should have built in support for all of the
various installers such as DropDMG, InnoSetup, WIX, etc.? You either have
to support all of them or provide a hook so the developer can extend the
process. Either that or require the developer to create their own
additional workflow for processing the standalone after the fact.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps