Unreliable File Deletion

preid at reidit.co.uk preid at reidit.co.uk
Sat Mar 27 14:13:48 EDT 2021

Hi

Has anyone had problems with file deletion by LC under Windows 10?

According to the docs the following commands should delete a file:

	delete file pathname

	open file pathname for write

Also the shell() command sequence:

	put UnixToWinPath(pFile) into pWinFile
	put "del " & quote & pWinFile & quote into tCmd
	set the hideConsoleWindows to true
	put shell(tCmd) into tRes

With various versions of LC including the latest 9.6.2 RC3 I get the following behaviour:

1. The file is deleted correctly.

2. The file appears to be deleted but any new version written to the same folder is actually the old version.

3. The deletion fails with a failure comment returned in the Result.

4. The deletion seems to work but the next attempt to save a file of the same name fails, reported by the Result.

I'm getting this problem when tested on a brand new up-to-date virtual Windows 10 Home 64-bit and a similar PC laptop. It's not a problem on the Mac.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Peter
--