Double sided PDF Problem

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Fri Jan 29 12:36:03 EST 2021

Brian:
 > I’d like to print decks of cards, front and back

This post has become a master puzzle of its own!
Enough detail to elicit solutions, yet still open-ended.
Each answer makes its own assumptions, and solves a different problem.
But I like it. So OK, I'll join. Here goes....

My own assumptions derive from Keep It Simple (KISS) code philosophy.
So I'm not going to read more into the problem than necessary.
I tend to prefer the simplest and most universal answer.
Also with the fewest dependencies.

 > The front page is always easy. Cards print left to right: 1-3
 > Flipping the pages, in portrait layout, the cards are now
 > face down, in order but reversed: 3,2, 1.

I'm not going to make ANY assumptions about print drivers solving it.
(Unless first tested in LC, on target platforms, with target printers.)

Bob and Jacque might be right. These days, drivers usually auto-fit.
But often LC doesn't fit assumptions! Test first; don't build on theory.

The way I read it, so far this is already solved by the 321 reversal.
Brian already has his images in the proper order, front and back.
And that approach should be very universal; no dependencies.
I would expect it to work for any printer, or PDF, any platform.

There was no mention of booklets or alternating margins, so I'm not
adding that to the problem. Choosing a simple interpretation.

 > The problem is, printing 3 wide by 4 tall, aligning the two.

I see this as just lining up the front and back images precisely so that
the cards can be cut out. Right now, one side is too far left, or down?

So my suggestion is:

1. Make sure your images are PRECISELY spaced in their arrangement.
(Use code if necessary.)

2. Group the images.
(Or whatever type of controls you are using for the playing cards.)

3. Set loc of group to loc of the LC card.

(And LC card widths are usually divible by 2, so center might be a pixel
different front and back, if you're using the same group of images.
Depending on image design and driver auto-fit, usually that's moot.
But if it's a problem, easy to solve - several good options.)

Did I guess right about the nature of the problem? :)
Nice topic!

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development