opened socket in IDE prevents script changes

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Jan 15 11:58:21 EST 2021

On 15/01/2021 15:30, Bernard Devlin via use-livecode wrote:
> I'm seeing exactly the same range of behaviours I described earlier for
> 9.5.1 on Win 10 but with 9.6.1 on OS X.
>
> It's very strange that Alex is also editing scripts with sockets
> opened/closed but  not losing changes made in the script editor. I also had
> 3 crashes on OS X within 30 minutes of working on this stack.
>
> Alex, are you using the IDE's script editor or some external editor?  If
> you are using that script editor, once you've opened a socket could you add
> a comment to your stack script, apply, close the script editor, then edit
> the script again to see if the comment has persisted?  I have to quit LC to
> make any changes to a stack once I've opened a socket.

Yes, I'm using standard IDE script editor.

The added comment persists, both through  "apply - close - reopen" and
"apply - save stack - close editor - reopen", and to stack and card scripts.

> It seems to me that once a socket has been opened that the IDE is no longer
> persisting changes.  I'm pretty sure I didn't see this behaviour on my
> previous project using sockets.

Have to ask

  - do you have any plugins that might use sockets ?

  - I'm using Indy version - let me know if you're on Community /
Business and I can try that too
       I think :-)

  - do you, or have you, used other editors / debuggers that might
affect this ?

  - do you, or have you, used remote debugging ?

That's all the straws I can think of for now.

Alex.