S3 Compatible?

Tom Glod tom at makeshyft.com
Sun Feb 28 10:18:05 EST 2021

Hi Andre,

Monte mentioned above that he didn't know about it at the time he created
the library,
and I guess no one needed it badly enough to request a feature enhancement
until September 24, 2020
I can't even imagine the number of things a development platform like lc
must keep track of to stay up to date.
I also wonder how many people in the world are truly familiar with the LC's
C++ source code.
2 maybe 3?

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 7:25 AM Andre Garzia via use-livecode <

> I think that a consequence of the popularity of S3 REST API was overlooked
> by the LC HQ when they designed the AWS library. Many of the AWS APIs were
> copied by other competing products so that they'd become a turn-key
> replacement for AWS. It is much easier to push your company's backuping
> solution if it is compatible to S3 for example. Many FOSS self-hosted
> projects created endpoints compatible with AWS for the same reasons.
>
> It should be trivial to add a command to register a custom endpoint. I
> think that the whole password protection of that stack is to make sure it
> is only available to Indy licensees. I don't mind it being Indy and up
> only, but I'd love for those libraries to have their source open so that
> people can contribute such small changes. This would free resources from
> the mothership and keep those libraries fresh.
>
> Best
>
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 20:13, Kee Nethery via use-livecode <
>
> > Thank you for the clarification.
> >
> > Kee Nethery
> >
> > > On Feb 25, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> > use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

> > > It seems the opposite: if you need S3 storage, AWS is the only one
> > supported by the LC lib included in proprietary editions.
> > >
> > > You would only need to roll your own if you want S3 from another
> > provider, which is the circumstance Tom has which prompted this thread.
> > >
> > > Monte described the history of the library a couple posts back:
> > >
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2021-February/263537.html
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard Gaskin
> > > Fourth World Systems
> > > Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

> --
> https://www.andregarzia.com <http://www.andregarzia.com>
> Want to support me? Buy me a coffee at https://ko-fi.com/andregarzia

Tom Glod