SSL Error - question from Stack Overflow

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 16 15:16:34 EST 2021

Devin Asay wrote:
> I came across this question on stack overflow. I like to try to give good LiveCode answers there when I can, just to do a little to boost the reputation of the LC community there. But I don’t have a clue on this one.
>
> <quote>
> A Livecode script:
> get URL "https://www.uspto.gov/patent/laws-and-regulations/patent-term-extension/patent-terms-extended-under-35-usc-156"
> Winds up with the following in "the result":
>
>  tsneterr: (56) SSLRead() return error -9806
>

> I tried setting libURLSetSSLVerification to both true and false, but got the same error each time. Any ideas why this is happening, and is there a solution?
> </quote>

As a cURL wrapper, tsNet's error messages tend to follow the same
conventions other cURL devs see, lending itself to generic searches:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=SSLRead()+return+error+-9806&ia=web

I only briefly looked at a few of the results, but it seems related to a
very specific SSL cert config that results in timeouts.  Beyond that
you'll have to read more, but hopefully that link will at least get you
started until Charles shows up with his usual thorough response.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems