How to extract whole text from a PDF file with the PDF

Paul McClernan paulmcclernan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 10:33:05 EST 2021

I was fairly certain that XPDF external was/is based on this XPDF:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xpdf
Which has both GPL and Proprietary Licensing options available.

The newer (> 9.6.3) PDF Widget is based on PDFium which is an offshoot
project that spawned from Google’s Chromium project. I’m not sure about the
licensing involved with that.

If you’re running macOS I released a (semi-complete) library that uses
Apple PDFKit (not to be confused with several other PDFKits that are out
there, such as this JS PDFKit: https://pdfkit.org ). That can extract text
from PDF, per-document or per-page.

At some point I may update that library, adding the ability to extract RTF
styled text and also make iso it can use UIView, which would make available
on iOS devices too, but I’m really busy right now so that’s not likely to
get attention from me anytime soon.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 12:47 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <