Android PlayStore Warning APK v1 signature scheme

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Oct 14 17:43:39 EDT 2020

On 10/14/20 11:18 AM, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode wrote:
> I just got this message when submitting a new app to the PlayStore
>
> Your APK is only signed using the APK v1 signature scheme. This will fail to install in versions of Android equal or higher to 11 if the android:targetSdkVersion is set to 30 or higher. Please use apksigner to sign your APK or switch to the Android App Bundle to fix this.
>
> Does anyone know what the deal is here?

Google explains it here:
https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/apksigner

Apps already published in the Play Store can continue to use the v1 scheme, created with
keytool, because updates aren't possible if the signature changes. But new apps should use the
v2 scheme which is done with apksigner.

I got a little lost in that web page when determining what the variables should be in the
terminal command. Some guidance on that would be helpful. I do remember when I created the
signature for an app a few months ago, I got a warning that I was using v1 and I should
consider using v2 instead, but Google did not reject the app with the v1 signature.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com