Modal stacks cpu usage

Neville Smythe neville.smythe at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 3 21:36:47 EDT 2020

Jacque wrote
> If the Project Browser is open, try closing it. On my Mac, the CPU usage
> while idle is usually close to 0 when in the background.

Interesting. I would indeed have expected a good-citizen app doing nothing in the background to use less than 1% cpu: Mail, Safari. Finder, BBEdit, Keyboard Maestro are currently all close to 0% But I never see LC using less than 4.3% with no user stacks open, no palettes, no plugins, no scripts, just the IDE. Adding revSmartSave brings it up to 15%. The only odd thing about the process I can see is the unusually high number of “idle wake ups”, sometimes over 100 in the Activity Monitor sampling period: no other process excepting kernel_task has anything like this number.

Of course it’s a mug’s game — if that is a phrase in your neck of the woods— trying to second guess OS time-sharing parameters, but it does look like LC is not a very nice (pun intended) citizen at least in this configuration: Catalina 10.15.6, Mac Air 2020 quad core, LC 9.6.1 Community!

Neville