Suspend in iOS, or when is a mobile app running?

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Tue Nov 17 10:25:39 EST 2020

Sorry if this is documented somewhere but I can’t find it.

On desktop platforms, LC gives us “suspend” which is fired when the app goes into the background. I seem to be having some problems with iOS, in that when the screen locks (triggered by  user action or a time limit), my app seems to stop getting messages from the OS, so is in some sense suspended. This seems to call for something like “suspend” for mobiles. Does such a message exist?

Another thing that happens with iOS apps that use Location Services is that the user is sometimes asked via a popu-up on the screen of the device whether the app should be allowed to use these services when it’s not running. I don’t know what triggers these user messages, nor am exactly certain what ‘not running’ means - presumably if the app has been properly quit, that’s something other than ‘not running’. In the Standalone Settings for mobile, one can set Location Services as being a requirement, but there doesn’t seem to be a setting corresponding to this user choice.

Has anyone a clear understanding of all this? I would love to see an explanation.

TIA

Graham