Is the DateFormat read only?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Nov 7 10:26:47 EST 2020

Thank you Matthias. Those detailed instructions will come in handy for
me - when/if I get that far.

The problem I mentioned a couple of emails ago in this thread was in the
IDE - haven\t yet got as far as doing it on the server.

I tested out the TimeZone library with a couple of randomly chosen
timezones - and they all came back incorrect (i.e. unchanged from UTC
even though the timezones should have been different). I know that if
you pass in a timezone that is not in the local machine's database, it
will silently return the UTC value - but that's not the case here.

I've now looked at it more closely - some of these timezones give the
right answer, some give the wrong answer - though they are all in the
TimeZones() list.

All on my MacBook Pro, OSX 10.13.6, LC 9.6 ...

>    local tTimeZones, tAllTheTimeZones
>    put timezones() into tAllTheTimeZones
>    put "UTC" & CR after tTimeZones
>    put "America/New_York" & CR after tTimeZones
>    put "America/Anchorage" & CR after tTimeZones
>    put "junktotest" & CR after tTimeZones
>    put "US/Central" & CR after tTimeZones
>    put "US/Alaska" & CR after tTimeZones
>
>    repeat for each line L in tTimeZones
>       if L is among the lines of tAllTheTimeZones then
>          put L && FromUniversalTime(the seconds,L) &CR after msg
>       else
>          put L && "is not in the database" &CR after msg
>       end if
>    end repeat
gives

> UTC 1604762435
> America/New_York 1604744435
> America/Anchorage 1604730035
> junktotest is not in the database
> US/Central 1604762435
> US/Alaska 1604762435

Note the last two (which happened to be the ones I chose in my earlier
test) wrongly show the UTC time, though they are clearly in the
TimeZones() list.

Maybe just a bug and I should report it ?

Alex

On 07/11/2020 14:36, matthias rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> The issue I am trying to deal with (and maybe it's related to what David is doing) is dealing with time zone issues on a LC web server. If you want to timestamp when some event happens, you can do that as a UTC timestamp using a function like this one of yours; but that leaves you two problems.
>>
>>   - presenting those timestamps back to the user - which should be in *their* local time
>>   - allowing the user to provide their own timestamp - again should be local for them.
>>
>> Most advice I've found via Google, etc. suggests keeping the timestamps in UTC, and asking the user to provide their timezone - usually when they 'register'. You can then use PHP (or ...) functions to convert a date/time between UTC and their local zone.
>>
>> You might hope to do that in LC using 'convert .. to internet date' - but that doesn't work because that conversion (seems to) assume a local time, and then simply fill in the time offset for the local system (i.e. the problem David reported).
>>
>> You should be able to do it using the TimeZone library - but I haven't figured out how to to do that, or I'm using it wrong, or something. (I didn't know about the Timezone library until David mentioned it yesterday.)
>>
>> I'm currently using an ugly (though working :-) workaround using e.g.
>>
>> put "America/New_York" into timeZone
>>
>> *put*shell("TZ=" & timeZone & " date") into tmp
>>
>> and working it all out from there (assumes Unix server - don't know if it works on others).
>>
>> Alex.
>>

>> On 07/11/2020 10:27, Graham Samuel via use-livecode wrote:
>>> I am as confused as anyone else as to what you are trying to do, but just in case, this little function seems to work for me to get the ’standard’ UTC date format which I have to use in my app to put time stamps into GPX files. It apparently produces the correct time zone. Doubtless it could be more elegantly coded.
>>>
>>> Hope it helps - who knows?
>>>
>>> Graham
>>>
>>> function fUTCTime
>>>     local t1,t2,t3
>>>     -- this gets the current time and puts it into UTC format, i.e YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssTZD
>>>     put word 5 to 6 of the internet date into t3 -- we are interested in the time and time zone
>>>     put the long time into t1
>>>     convert t1 to dateItems -- format is yyyy,m,d,h,m,s,day no.
>>>     put (item 1 of t1) & "-" & f2digits(item 2 of t1) & "-" & f2digits(item 3 of t1) &"T" & word 1 of t3 into t2
>>>     put word 2 of t3 into t1 -- the time zone indication
>>>     get char 1 of t1 — the code for 0 (zero) is Z, apparently
>>>     if it <> "+" and it <> "-“ then
>>>        put "Z" after t2
>>>     else
>>>        put t1 after t2
>>>     end if
>>>     return t2
>>> end fUTCTime
>>>
>>> function f2digits theNum
>>> -- add a leading zero. We don't check if there are more than two digits

 time except for 'the seconds', which is taken to be universal time.