ADA Compliency

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Sat May 30 01:03:33 EDT 2020

Alex:

 > You are quoting yourself without adequate context.

Ah yes, I'm trying to keep what I said a big secret, right? :)

Quite the reverse - I was drawing attention to my original post, which
is readily available in its entirety, which is typically what I suggest.

 > The fuller version of what you said was [...]

No, that's not quite the fuller version. Your quote still omits the most
important context of all, which could easily mislead a hapless reader.
That is, the context of its topic and main thrust, which you skirt.

My post was NOT primarily about my trouble with the mouse, or rather
with Mac UI. It was about good and bad UI design and how these choices
can have bigger consequences, plus the need to recognize a range of
ability. Otherwise ADA or other compliance will fall short for many.

My hands/mouse versus Mac OS X UI was an EXAMPLE in that context. I use
that example from time to time (this was not the first mention) because
it had a fairly big impact on my life.

Luckily there was an alternative OS readily available to solve the
problem, and - again, to a reasonable extent - that DID ALREADY SOLVE
the problem. As I indicated in my first post, and emphasized in my 2nd.

That was more of a UI than a hardware problem, in my case, and in the
very important "fuller context" of my post.

 > So I think your rather condescending attempted put-down was wrong.

Attempted put-down? Wow, this is going way off-course and into the realm
of fantasy. No put-downs yet of individuals here, by my count! Simply
laying that particular line of questioning to rest for the 2nd time
(also by my count; this makes 3) and steering back to my point:

Ability is not all-or-nothing. We need to look at the middle too.
Otherwise even "compliance" will still fall short for many.
Good UI can help many people function better and bad UI can hinder them.

 > my wife has a neurological condition that is probably on the
 > same scale as yours

Sorry to hear that - feel free to send me her condition's name off-list
if you wish.

 > A few years ago, HP had many laptops with a trackpad
 > *and* two buttons below it

I had one of those too! Liked the laptop, but using the trackpad that
way was also no bueno for me. I think I actually started enabling the
touch-click on those to avoid using the hardware buttons.

To steer back to my point again, and somewhat agreeing with you, that HP
laptop was an example of good design for different abilities and
situations. It had the trackpad (to use with hard buttons or software
clicks) but of course also the ability to plug in a wide variety of mice
and other pointers.

The same holds true with software UI. Don't ditch a great and
"scientific" feature (Apple's words, or close to it, from memory) for a
mere lickable trend. Or if you do, at least provide some options for
users that prefer the scientific. Could we say...be user friendly? Think
different? ;) But again, it's not just Apple.

(Man, the "compliency" spelling in the subject line - not mine - is
starting to make me wince after sending out 3 messages that way. But I
don't want to change it and break the threading. So here it goes....)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
"Better Methods, Better Results"