AW: specialFolderPath, Microsoft Window, and 64 bits

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Tue Mar 31 13:32:24 EDT 2020

So, I think I may have answered by own question.

IF my app is 32 bit THEN
    specialFolderPath(38) returns the 32 bit app folder (C:\Program
Files (x86)\)
   and
    specialFolderPath(42) returns the 32 bit app folder (C:\Program
Files (x86)\)

IF my app is 64 bit THEN
    specialFolderPath(38) returns the 64 bit app folder (C:\Program Files\)
   and
    specialFolderPath(42) returns the 32 bit app folder (C:\Program
Files (x86)\)

I don't want to change to building a 64-bit Windows version of my -
mostly because we are just not geared up to QA test for that and 32 bit
builds.

My main concerns is where the Window OS is installed to a not standard
volume, so you have something like:

D:\Program Files\
or
\\system07\C$\Program Files\
or
etc.

However, I can write a custom function to get the 32 bit path
(C:\Program Files (x86)\) and take everything before "Program Files" as
the VOLUME\ or \\SERVER\VOLUME\ and just put it in front of the 64 bit
Program Files folder name to get a correct 64 bit path.

I don't believe that the 64bit Program Files and 32 Bit Program Files
folders can be on different volumes.

Both Mark and Trevor's suggestions of Shell environment variables OR LCB
wrapped windows API) (respectively) potentially offer a more stable and
reliable solution that my thought above and I'll look into them.

Thank you all who responded.