specialFolderPath, Microsoft Window, and 64 bits

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Mar 31 13:13:29 EDT 2020

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 11:52 AM Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <

> Okay, I was running LC960dp3 (32 bit) so I downloaded LC960dp2 (64 bit)
> [I chose dp2 only because I didn't want 32 and 64 bits of the same
> version installed in case of some unknown conflict). Reran my paths test
> and your DO get different results!
>
> Most interestingly:
> specialFolderPath(38) = C:/Program Files is the 64 bot applications folder
> and
> specialFolderPath(42) = C:/Program Files (x86) is teh 32 bit
> applications folder
>
> So, if I am using LC to build a Windows 64 bit standalone that 64 bit
> standalone can get BOTH the 64 bit Programs folder path AND the 32 bit
> Program folders path to check for the presence of a 3rd party
> application that could be installed as either 32 or 64 bit.
>
> HOWEVER, if I have built a 32-Bit LC standalone, that can not get the
> path for the 64 bit Programs folder. It can ONLY get the path for the 32
> bit Programs folder
>
> A little disappointing. My use case remains. My app (currently 32 bit)
> needs to check if a 3rd party app is installed. That 3rd party app could
> be have either a 32 bit version or a 64 bit version installed. I would
> like to use some sort of "specialFolderPath" precisely so it a user has
> a non standard installation I get the correct paths.

Paul,

I had a similar situation recently where I needed to get some DPI
information about the monitors that wasn't available through my LC main
application. I ended up writing a simple command line tool in Visual Studio
that used the Windows APIs and returned the proper information. I included
that exe with my app and called it from within LC. In your case you would
create a 64-bit command line app and I'm guessing you could find sample
code for such a common API call.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps