Getting HTML5 going

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Mar 26 06:10:51 EDT 2020

On 2020-03-25 21:07, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
> I will make a note to double-check the macOS AppStore rules in the
> next day or so (this is assuming you are thinking about macOS AppStore
> submission), but from memory they are very much aligned with the iOS
> AppStore ones in this regard (so my previous posts comments apply
> there too).

The relevant macOS AppStore guideline is this:

2.5.2. Apps should be self-contained in their bundles, and may not read
or write data outside the designated container area, nor may they
download, install, or execute code which introduces or changes features
or functionality of the app, including other apps.

So this is less restrictive of the form of executable code which can
downloaded compared to iOS; but the same in terms of what such downloads
are allowed to do.

Basically:

If you are producing Desktop software and *not* interested in submitting
to the macOS AppStore then you can do whatever you want - i.e. you are
free to live update your app whenever you want by downloading updated
stackfiles which can do whatever you want them to do.

If you are producing Desktop software and *do* want to submit to the
macOS AppStore then you can still download live updates, but you need to
be wary of what those updates are doing as mentioned in my previously
post.

There is a tendency, I think, to vastly overthink this.

The reality is that you lose nothing by being slightly restricted in
terms of what live updates are allowed to do in an AppStore context!

Part of the point of AppStores is to make it easier for users to find,
install and keep their apps up to date. From a user perspective,
updating an app is as easy as clicking a button when they are told there
is an update and a little while later they will have an updated app.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps