IMAP Search skipping results

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Mar 23 13:25:30 EDT 2020

On 2020-03-23 17:14, Pi Digital via use-livecode wrote:
> Finding the first unseen UID though seems to be the next issue I’m
> going to have to overcome. A never ending stream of workarounds.

Well, unfortunately, this is a bug in cURL as far as we can see - its
been there for 6 years and no-one has fixed it.

This is kind of surprising as cURL is generally a very well supported
and widely used open-source library (that being said, we should probably
take note of the whole OpenSSL Heartbleed issue a while back...)

Given that cURL is used in a lot of places, by a lot of products, that
suggests that either

   (a) no-one uses cURL IMAP very much so there isn't any interest in
fixing it

*or*

   (b) fixing that bug doesn't actually solve the problem (it just shifts
it). i.e. The bug makes quick-and-dirty approaches to certain tasks
fail; but when people come across it they realize that if they don't do
things 'en-masse' (which is basically what the IMAP RFC suggests you
shouldn't) then it doesn't have an effect.

Of course, I'm hypothesizing here: (a) could be the reason as much as
(b).

I'd perhaps suggest that something isn't a workaround if the original
approach was flawed (however irksome the more code it requires might
be!) ;)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps