Script profiler

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Sun Jun 7 21:51:01 EDT 2020

On 6/7/20 12:34 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> On 6/7/20 2:27 PM, Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode wrote:
>> Jacques wrote
>>
>>> Does anyone with a business license use the script profiler? I'm
>>> having trouble interpreting what it reports. According to the lesson
>>> in the LC Lessons, it looks like the most recent handler is recorded
>>> on top of the output but I'm getting output that is all mixed up
>>> without any order that I can see.
>>> I also deliberately repeated a user action three times, and the stack
>>> responded correctly, but I only see one instance of the handler in
>>> the profiler. Is that normal? Or should it list every occurance?
>>> I am trying to track down an inexplicable lag in responsiveness in my
>>> app.
>>
>> For me Script profiler returns the handlers in order of time consumed,
>> the top one used the most time
>>
>> Then it reports the number of calls and the cumultive time for each
>> line that was called. The times are relative to each other, not the
>> real times without the overhead of the profiler.
>> But they give a good indication of where the bottlenecks are.
>
> Thank you, I do see the same thing, now that I know what it's doing.
> That makes sense.

I took a different approach in the new PowerDebug. I display the lines
of code as they appear in the script, in order to preserve as much
sanity as possible. The singleton and aggregate times are both
displayed, with the singleton times rounded up to the nearest
millisecond because that's the limit of LiveCode's accuracy. However,
hovering over the time will show a better indication of the actual time
if there are multiple iterations because of averaging over more data
points. And any times over 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 of the total time are
flagged in color to alert the developer.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com