What's Going On In The IDE

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Fri Jul 3 13:13:14 EDT 2020

Win 10 LC 9.6.0

I have a card with 55 groups each with one field of 20 characters. This card renders sub second but is unresponsive for an additional 14 seconds. What's going on here? The IDE stacks totals out to 13 seconds. This is after I made 1 minor edit in the script with the message box open. If I open the IDE without opening the script editor or message box then it only takes 4 seconds of which almost 3 seconds is in IDE scripts. I can expect some IDE overhead but waiting 14 to 20 seconds to get the IDE back after a minor edit that might not even be on this card is a problem. It slows development down to a crawl. The IDE hang is proportional to the number of fields on the card. The same card with only say 3 groups with 1 field each of 20 characters causes the IDE hang to go down to one second.

Also after running the profile (and other times also) when closing the IDE it goes into an endless loop after a completely blank window titled reNewScriptEditor1 open up and the IDE process need to be manually stopped.

I profiled the script and here's the top of the hit parade with 55 groups of 1 field each of 20 characters when the script editor is open.

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/palettes/messagebox/behaviors/revmessageboxsinglelinecardbehavior.livecodescript"

		4803 ms	layoutCard

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/palettes/behaviors/revpalettebehavior.livecodescript"
		3383 ms	generateFrame

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/palettes/message box/behaviors/revmessageboxbehavior.livecodescript"
		3006 ms	positionOpenStacksButton

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/palettes/message box/behaviors/revmessageboxbehavior.livecodescript"
		1575 ms	revIDESetActiveStack

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/palettes/behaviors/revpalettebehavior.livecodescript"
		1512 ms	contentRect

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/libraries/revbackscriptlibrary.livecodescript"
		791 ms		revUpdateAOControls

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/libraries/revidelibrary.8.livecodescript"
		783 ms		revIDEColor

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/libraries/revfrontscriptlibrary.livecodescript"
		743 ms		nameChanged

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/palettes/menubar/revmenubar.livecodescript"
		346 ms		updateButtonHilite

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/palettes/menubar/revmenubar.livecodescript"
		255 ms		setButtonHilite

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/libraries/revgeometrylibrary.livecodescript"
		248 ms		revCacheGeometry

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/palettes/behaviors/revpalettebehavior.livecodescript"
		207 ms		appendMenuItem

stack "C:/Program Files/RunRev/LiveCode Business 9.6/Toolset/libraries/revidelibrary.8.livecodescript"
		190 ms		revIDEGetPreference

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services