html5Player

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 31 15:05:54 EST 2020

hh wrote:
>> Richard G. wrote:
>> do you know if would it be practical to run the generated
>> LC-engine-as-JS file through a JS->WASM converter?
>> If not, what would be needed to make that happen?
>
> AFAIK the current HTML5 standalone builder was made by Peter
> Brett in contact with Mark Waddingham. It uses Emscripten (only)
> to draw to a canvas.
>
> So, I don't know but I guess that the HTML5 standalone builder
> has to be (partially) rewritten to use Emscripten to compile LC
> source code into WebAssembly modules that run sandboxed together
> with regular JavaScript (having bindings especially to WebGL).
> One could omit controls/features that are/will soon be well done
> in HTML5, for example the audio/video/pdf/camera/img-webP parts.
>
> I guess this would run LC in a modern browser for some processes
> (especially graphics and image processing) much faster than in
> the current IDE.
>
> Who only can really answer (and do) that?
>
> Mark Waddingham and his team...

I think my question is different, though it may be irrelevant if there's
something about LC's Emscripten-generated JS lib that makes this unworkable:

I'm seeing a growing number of JS->WASM converters out there, seemingly
designed to replace a JS lib with a WASM version that is functionally
identical, just smaller and faster.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this with the generated JS version of
the LC engine.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems