How to render a two-dimensional array correctly with empty/missing 'cell' elements?

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at me.com
Wed Dec 30 11:33:06 EST 2020

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the response and suggested code - the change from iterating through array column items in each row to the header row[0] keys was the enlightenment I needed... “Eureka!" :)

A couple of tweaks and it’s working very nicely!

function displayArray @pArray

local tLineItem, tTag -- variables for array line and column (headers)

local tPrintLine -- variable for output printing

put empty into tPrintLine

# loop through each row of the array

put item 2 of line 1 of the extents of pArray into tNumItems

repeat with I = 0 to tNumItems -- row 0 contains column labels

# loop through each column for each row

repeat for each key K in pArray[0]

put K into tTag

put pArray[I][tTag] & "," after tPrintLine -- write content of the row ‘cell' to tPrintLine

end repeat

put return after tPrintLine -- insert a return after each row we have written to tPrintLine

end repeat

return tPrintLine

end displayArray

Thanks & regards,