Encrypting Stack Breaks Field References

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Dec 13 19:02:46 EST 2020

Ron Noice wrote:

? My program (built with LC 9.6.1 Indy Windows) contains a large number
 > of references to fields by variables.
 > only when I encrypt it does it fight back. Here's a simplified example
 > of what I'm doing:
 >
 > create group "grpTree"
 > copy fld "baseBox" to grp "grpTree"

^ that's your issue.

Copying objects is disallowed in an encrypted stack, since of course
once an object is copied it could be pasted into an unencrypted stack,
and thus expose the source.

You might consider moving the code from the encrypted stack to an
encrypted behavior object, leaving the stack where copying must be done
unencrypted.

But if these objects are being copied only by script for the purpose of
automatically building out a UI, without a need to alter the user's
clipboard, you might consider using the clone command instead.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems