Integrating Desktop or mobile application with LMS using LTI 1.3

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 5 14:25:52 EDT 2020

Martin Koob wrote:

 > Thanks for the responses.  I am still actively working on this.
 >
 > I have hired a summer intern. Molly,  to work on this.  She has been
 > getting up to speed on LiveCode and LTI 1.3 and now she is turning her
 > attention to working on a proof of concept stack to connect with an
 > LMS system and send commands and receive responses and process them.
 >
 > Indeed we have found that LTI 1.3 is supported by many LMS’s to
 > varying degrees and some still just support LTI 1.1 currently. (There
 > is a LTI 2.0 but that is a deprecated standard.
 > http://www.imsglobal.org/lti-security-announcement-and-deprecation-
 > schedule)  The LMSs we have looked at also have their own APIs which
 > seem to have features beyond what the LTI feature set is but still
 > looking at this.

This is very exciting.  Thanks for posting this.

 > I am not at the point yet where I can open source it and I am not
 > really sure how to go about that. (Don’t know how I would sell it
 > either but probably not much of a market for it.)

If you feel the commercial value is lower than the value of open sharing
and collaborating on fixes and enhancements, open source can be a very
good option.

Picking a license can be the hard part.  The mechanics of collaborating
are more flexible.

GPL v3 is what LC's Community Edition uses, useful for open source work
but impractical for commercial work (it requires that derivative works
use the same license and also make source available, which is excellent
for proliferation but a turn-off for those looking to build
closed-source works on it).

MIT License is compatible with GPL v3, and has no restrictions that
impair use in either GPL-governed works or proprietary closed-source
products.

 > I have my main app on GIT using Monte’s lcVCS but if I did want to go
 > open source with this library I want to to do something simpler like a
 > script only stack library and maybe do a Demo app based on Trevor’s
 > Levure App Framework https://livecode.com/products/livecode-platform
 >/levure/ to make it easier to use git.   Does this sound like a good
 > approach?

If a framework lets you build the demo more quickly than you could
without it, go fo it.

But it learning the framework may slow you down, don't worry about the
demo being in a Github-friendly format.  Folks will be grateful to use
whatever you choose to spend your time making and sharing, even a simple
binary stack file.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems