mergAV Select specific rear camera

Martin Koob mkoob at rogers.com
Thu Apr 30 12:03:27 EDT 2020

Hi Andrew.

I haven’t used it on iOS but this is what you need to do on Mac OS X to use internal or external cameras.

To choose a particular camera use

	merAVCamSet “camera” , tCameraID

So or your case using iOS I think you can use just “rear camera” as the tCameraID

	merAVCamSet“camera”, “rear camera”

See the dictionary for details.

For Mac OS X there is a bit more to do first you have to check to see what cameras are available and find their device IDs are:

		merAVCamGet “Video Devices”

You also have to check the audio devices it you want to switch both your video and audio sources.

		merAVCamGet “Audio Devices”
If you are using  DV cams which used FireWire as the connector and include both Video and Audio together you need to use “Muxed devices” as the param

		merAVCamGet “Muxed Devices”

See the dictionary for details on how the camera info is returned.

Once you have retrieved the video and audio device IDs you set the camera that will be used and the microphone with the same merAVCamSet  command and use the device IDs you just retrieved.
		merAVCamSet “camera”, pCameraID

		merAVCamSet “microphone”, pAudioID

I agree with Devin though it is better to switch to the new cameraControl. It will be the video and audio capture technology supported going forward. I have transitioned to it so I can deploy my application on Windows. I would use the LC 9.6  version as there were bugs in the 9.5.1 version that are fixed in LC9.6.   I haven’t tried it on IOS though so you should see if that works.

Martin