Three very simple questions

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Sun Apr 26 08:11:28 EDT 2020

I’m sending this again because some strange text appeared in my message the first time. Don’t know how it go there!

Folks, I’m finding it difficult to search the lessons and the LC Guide to get really simple info, so forgive me for these grossly newbie questions:

1. In the IDE, the ‘Align Selected Controls’ menu item doesn’t allow all possible combinations of alignment, particularly aligning horizontal and vertical centres; nor does it allow alignments in relation to the stack dimensions. I think this functionality used to exist, but maybe (very likely!) my memory is faulty. If these functions are available somewhere in the IDE, I don’t see where.

2. I’ve not had to use LC arrays much, at least not ones containing my own data. The description of arrays is somewhat scattered throughout the lessons and the Guide, and I failed to find a thorough treatment of the whole idea of arrays in LC, which I find quite slippery. I am looking to use a two- or three-dimensional array, where you can script something like

 put myArray[2,7] into…, or
 get myArray[x,y,z]

I still don’t know if this is possible. I kind of think it is, but I can’t grasp how to do it.

3. I can’t work out if you can construct an array using the IDE, i.e. prior to actually executing the code. I was thinking for example of an array of constants (really strings) which could be written into my script. Again, if that’s possible I don’t know how. It seems odd to have to do something like convert lists of constants into array form only when the program is running. Somehow I don’t think this is possible in LC, but I’m not sure.

Maybe Klaus, who tells us that he sleeps with the LC documentation under his pillow, can help!

Graham