Maximum field height?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Apr 5 21:37:03 EDT 2020

As I see it, there are 4 broad areas of problem for LC on mobile OSes.

The first two have been well described earlier in the thread and should
just be fixed.

1. xTalk features just don't work, or work totally inadequately (e.g.
scrolling fields).

2. Failure in cross-platform equivalence.

The other two are, I suspect, not truly solvable.

3. It's not "Live"Code. Developing for Mobile gets you back into the
horrible edit - compile (i.e. build a standalone) - test cycle.

4. You still need to deal with the ugly issues of the SDKs and the
app-store  requirements.

So, for me personally, even if LC Ltd. could fix (1) and (2), I would
still not even bother trying to build a mobile app; it's just not worth
the hassle or the learning curve.

OK - that's an easy decision for me - I don't do this for a living, I do
it for fun. And right now Mobile development is no fun.

The downside is, I've all but run out of reasons to develop in LC. I
used to write little (but useful) apps/games/utilities for myself, or my
family, or sometimes for friends. I don't think my wife's laptop has
been switched on this year - she uses her tablet and/or phone almost
exclusively. And others in the family are much the same.

So I think the right solution is for LC Ltd is to add *another* target
platform - PWAs. (This has the advantage that it also tackles the
inadequacy of the HTML platform).

LC Ltd should just pick a set of PWA components (I don't know which -
maybe Angular, Polymer, etc. I *really* don't know which - but just pick
one for me !!). Then they should identify a *subset* of LC script/UI
features that can be readily mapped to JS and a LC/JS library, and
implement that.

Given the ability to re-load JS it should be feasible to be (fairly)
"Live"Code, without a full stand-alone build step.  It should produce
fast-loading, small "apps" that would allow many fairly straightforward
apps to be developed easily - bringing Mobile development back into the
realm where new / naive users (that includes me) can readily develop
apps and run them on the devices we all use these days.

And I'd get to stick to LC :-)

Alex.