Strange times, amazing projects

Skip Kimpel skiplondon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:50:06 EDT 2020

Good afternoon LC'ers (evening to some),

Enjoyed the Zoom chat today and it was good to see all of your faces
again.  It has been way too long.

Over the past couple of years I have been sidetracked from LC as I have not
had the need to be as hands on as I once was.  Now, however, I am forced to
pull out skill sets and take on projects / challenges that I have not done
in quite some time.  Actually, it is quite exhilarating.

I won't get into details about the project as a whole right now (but I
can't wait to share it with you all when it is done) but I have a challenge
that involves mapping and coordinates and I am trying to wrap my head
around how to accomplish it.

I have delivery zones built in Google Earth and I have delivery addresses.
I need to run through the list of delivery addresses to determine which
delivery zone they fall in.  Sounds simple (or maybe not) but I can't
figure out how to work out the coordinates of the address and filter it
within the perimeter coordinates of the zone.  Hopefully I explained this
clearly.

I realize I will probably have to first run the delivery addresses against
some database that will give me GPS coordinates which I can then use
against my delivery zone kml data.

Has anybody done this before?  Any suggestions?

As always, your input is GREATLY appreciated :)

Best regards,

SKIP KIMPEL