Give a bug a hug

Terry Judd terry.judd at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Oct 7 20:21:05 EDT 2019

On 8/10/19, 11:02 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Mark Wieder via use-livecode" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

    Back in the old days LC/RR had a voting system on bugzilla. You had five
    votes you could allocate to bug reports, and this gave an indication of
    how many people were affected by a given bug. Since you have a limited
    number of votes, you get to select your Top Five - if a bug no longer
    affects you as much you can rescind that vote and allocate it to another
    report. I think reinstating this would be part of the solution.

    But there's another quantitative ranking which has to come from the
    team, and that involves both bug severity and urgency/priority. I think
    with those three vectors of information (and perhaps a fourth, an
    estimate of the amount of work required to address the bug; although
    I've always hated to have to estimate that and end up being wildly
    optimistic) it might be possible to have a reasonable estimate of what
    it would take to get a given bug fixed.

I'd totally forgotten about the Bugzilla voting system. I liked that approach as well and agree that bringing it back could help both us and LC to prioritise fixes. I like your other suggestions as well. Hopefully the additional workload (for LC) to implement them would be manageable though and wouldn't place unnecessary additional strain on their bug fixing efforts ;)

Terry...