...and Livecode... where are we now?

Dalton Calford dalton.calford at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 10:36:27 EDT 2019

I first bought livecode back in 2010, they had lots of hype and promises at
the time, most of the promises did not really start to arrive until the
open source kickstarter (such as version control).
I have tried to make sense of the code base, in order to add support for a
few things, such as native support for a new sql engine (firebird) but
between the products unstable UI (at least on linux) and the not-really
open source elements of the tool, stopped me from investigating it further,
especially since I can use Lazarus to generate cross platform apps with a
fully open source tool set.
I gave it one last try with the LC 9 release, but, the lack of development
and the split of support from 9 to 9.5 within months of my getting the
license, tells me that, as a developer, there is little reason for me to
try to learn the language.   I know of many others who tried and walked
away from livecode, mostly due to the way they have managed it.
I have been watching for awhile since I was a fan of hypercard back in the
day, but, from the viewpoint of a wysiwyg design, cross platform, native
compile environment, livecode is not something I would recommend to anyone.
I have hopped that would change, but, after 9 years, nothing has really
changed.

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 09:33, Dan Brown via use-livecode <