Learning from scratch - any recommendations? [with OT additions]

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 05:16:02 EST 2019

Interesting stuff.

"But writing in LC means that you have to master concepts and algorithms"

I wonder which programming language (and I don't mean block-based
baby-hits-the-Lego-bricks stuff)
does not involve mastering concepts and algorithms.

One of the things that has slightly annoyed me in every single discussion
I have seen about learning and teaching programming in the last 25 years
was the assumption that somehow one could have a "free lunch."

You can't!

Learning any new skill (driving a tractor?) involves mastering concepts.

Most of the attempts at dumbing down have resulted in . . . wait for it
. . . dumb stuff.

When BASIC was developed there was no attempt to dumb things down; just
make the learning curve
not like the sort of exponential cliff that put off lots and lots of
kids prior to that.

LiveCode does not dumb things down, but its learning curve is one "h"
shallower than Python, C++ and all the other "usual suspects."
Notwithstanding its shallow learning curve, no-one is going to get very
far if they
behaved like me in the market in Jeddah (KSA) in 1996; "taxi, flat,
help." (Actually I did get quite far,
as the people in the market felt so sorry for me with my non-existent
Arabic that they gave me a sandwich
and a cup of coffee.) This was one of the main reasons why, very
quickly, I got my head round a few Arabic verbs.

"The so called universal language was announced to be a possibility in
LC to enhance the language but also, as announced, to translate it in
other languages (like french) for kids with french words and expressions
for example."

Sacre "oink". C'est un projet impossible, Je pense.

When I read/hear the phrase "universal language" I start thinking of
Esperanto and Volupak . . . need
I say more?

Why don't the Francophones put down their glasses of pastis and design
their own object-oriented
programming language, forbye?

Well, just possibly because, like it or not, the English-speaking world
seem to be rather well ahead of everyone
else in terms of computer programming languages.

This could be due to an awful lot of European ennui.

Why did Linus Torvalds not do "his stuff" in Finnish, and why does he
and his family live in California?
Go figure.

Je n'ai aucune sympathie pour les gens qui n'a pas un peu de langue
Anglais (Ouf, J'ai lu un livre de Denis Diderot
hier, et dans le Francais de Diderot il ecrivait "Anglois.") un jeune
qui est un monoglot est un infirme.

There, you see; I've got crappy French, so why can't other people have
crappy English?