Groups do not receive mouseEnter messages?

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Jun 25 14:04:45 EDT 2019

> On Jun 25, 2019, at 11:53 AM, dunbarxx via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> "I would suggest an enhancement to LiveCode to add a property to Groups
> that toggle between: "
>
> Setting the "opaque" of the group ought to be the property that permits
> mouse messages.

*** End of quote. Here is my comment.***

But changing that would break many existing stacks.

*** End of my comment. Resuming quote.***

> "If the group did get mouse click messages, it would complicate things in
> situations where you want to know which child object was clicked on."
>
> That is what the "target" is for.

*** End of quote. Here is my comment.***

Right, but when you click on an empty space in a group, it is the target, and if you only want to script the child objects you would have to specifically exclude the parent group.

*** End of my comment. Resuming quote.***

> This all may be an edge case. After all, it only recently came up. It just
> seems to me an anomaly.

*** End of quote. Here is my comment.***

I think folks have always just coded around it. I am so accustomed to it that I don’t even think about it. My preference is the current behavior, but I wouldn’t be opposed to a property that toggled it on and off, as long as the current behavior was the default.

*** End of my comment. Resuming quote.***

> --------------
> On another note, I find it difficult to use the use-list. One cannot tell
> who is writing, there is no easy way to isolate handlers, there is no easy
> way to isolate quotes. All this just happened.  The forum is SO much more
> accessible and useful.

*** End of quote. Here is my comment.***

Right!? What gives? Quoted text used to come through without any problem.

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities